Mmm…nothing like hot soup on a cool Sunday.
My mom used to make a version of this and I always looked forward to it as I’m a sucker for any cheese filled pasta and I love soup. This recipe is a simple, lightened up version but really hits the spot. This make for a big pot because we love leftovers, so feel free to cut in half.
Turkey Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 c. chopped celery (*tip, chop up the leaves as well, they pack the most flavor of any part of the stalk!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 c. veggie broth (or chicken/turkey if you prefer; I find veggie lends more flavor)
- 1 lb. turkey (or chicken), cooked and chopped
- 1 lb. frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more or less per your preference)
Saute veggies in olive oil over medium heat for 5 min. Add broth and bring pot to a boil; then reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Add tortellini, cooked turkey and seasonings and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes (don’t want your tortellini to get too soggy!). Easy Peasy. Sit down and enjoy.